Kids need to be smart and active in various prospects, but holding their curiosity and activeness while on the road is a responsible task to be taught by the parents or guardians. There is a need for traffic education to be taught in classrooms and even personally to ensure their safe return and reach. Responsibility is a task passed on from one to another, so it is imperative to learn them in the form of rules though it seems a restriction to the hyper-active nature of the kids. Show them the signs, give practical examples, and make them learn to practice for one’s safety and all.
10 Important Road Safety Rules
Here are the important safety rules to be followed along the road and amidst the traffic by the kids:
Understand Road Signs
The most important lesson to be taught to kids or children is basic traffic education about the roads, their types, Crosswalks, and other road signs to follow a safe and secure protocol. Minimum knowledge is imperative as these are practical and inevitable in our walks of life.
Look both ways
When crossing the road it is imperative to have a look at both sides to ensure no danger occurs. It might sometimes be the honking of a horn going a second late or applying breaks a second delayed, or an overtaking of a vehicle by another takes place, so to ensure no danger to avail from any of these looking both sides is a must.
Crosswalks are those white lines on dark-grey roads which by the basic roads system marked paths where the pedestrians have the right to cross. These are also called Zebra-crossing in common nomenclature. Whenever possible and the traffic is more it is important to use these to cross the road. A crosswalk is an inherent slowing sign for any biker or others to naturally slow down as these are by default supposed to be known by the driving licence holders.
Obey traffic signals to avoid accidents. Have practical knowledge about the colors blinking on the signal screens. The red sign indicates to stop, the yellow to get ready, and the green to proceed forward.
The younger should be taught to hold the hands of their parents or guardians with whom they were out on the roads. Giving clear instructions at the home or a place of start should be mentioned to prevent any unforeseeable mishaps. It is important to hold hands along the road or while crossing the roads.
Children are supposed to travel on bicycles from home to school and vice versa and with friends together. Wear some bright-colored glasses so to ensure the road, traffic, and traffic signals. Be keen on types of goggles or spectacles worn to not support any reflection or glare that might pose a problem on the road. And be visible to others wearing bright colored clothes and affixing a proper light to the bicycles.
Stay on Sidewalks
There are vast roads where the sidewalks are built only for pedestrians to walk. Use these and walk along to avoid any accidents on the road. Never step down the elevated sidewalks without any proper reason or without making sure of less traffic. If there are no sidewalks, keep to the extreme left.
Never get distracted on roads and be responsible for stressing the children and youngsters to not use mobiles and other electronic devices or toys on roads with heavy traffic on roads. Keep an eye on roads as some roads can be under work-in-progress with manholes opened. So keep the distractions away while walking the road.
Don’t run into the streets
Stress the importance and education to the kids to not run on the streets. The speeding vehicles at an optimum speed find it difficult to apply sudden breaks leading to unforeseen mishaps. So, educate children not to run into the streets, parking lots, and even on sidewalks.
Stay away from stray animals
Stray animals are unavoidable and possible threats on the roads and some streets. Caution children to keep away from such stray dogs or any other and avoid unnecessarily petting them approaching to feed them. Violent behavior or running away from stray animals might lead to accidents.
The need to know the basic road and traffic rules
There is a need and purpose for every kind of education, as it is learned to apply them. The rules of road and traffic safety are not to be mugged up but to inevitably practice them. Here are the needs to know and practice:
1. Traffic and road safety rules equip an individual to navigate through the roads and pavements reducing the likelihood of accidents, injuries, and fatalities.
2. Understanding such rules helps pedestrians to use sidewalks and cut through the roads using crosswalks avoiding fatal accidents.
3. Basic education and safety rules about the traffic and roads enable drivers of two-wheelers to big carriers to follow signs and prevent the occurrence of traffic violations by instilling responsible driving behavior.
4. Knowledgable drivers take and maintain the smooth flow of the traffic on roads avoiding mishaps and respecting a right of way.
5. Drivers with basic knowledge are prone to follow the rules of traffic signs and signals without clogging multiple ways or reducing traffic congestion.
6. Every individual with minimum traffic and road safety rules coordinates with one another inherently without much stress automatically.
7. By promoting such rules and preventing accidents and injuries, helps in reducing the stress on the healthcare system’s burden and enhances public health outcomes.
8. Knowing these rules regarding the roads and traffic ensures legal compliance and avoids fines, penalties, and unwarranted legal consequences.
9. A well-educated community of drivers can help in fostering and ensuring others navigate through the traffic or roads with confidence without stress.
10. Following these rules and propagating them responsibly to children leads to lower economic costs associated with medical care, vehicle repairs, and emergency services.
The best way to understand any aspect is to imitate and apply them practically, traffic and road safety rules are such to ensure a better and responsible life. Teaching the kids is a reminder, so let’s get along to learn and teach.
How can parents teach road safety to kids?
Parents can teach easily while dropping them at school or picking them up from, showing them the traffic signals and making them imitate.
The best technique to not let kids run on the roads?
Holding their hands or making them carry any item helps to place some inherent responsibility of not running on roads.
How can I be seen or be visible on roads when walking or biking?
Wearing bright clothes, using reflectors, and avoiding venturing out without proper light is advisable.